The Royal Hunting Grounds
The Tegelberg Mountain treats mountain fans to beautiful panoramic views
The city of Fussen and the Tannheim and Ostallgau Mountains to the south; the Ostallgau Alpine foothills to the west; and lastly, the Ammergau Alps to the east. It is no wonder that Crown Prince Maximilian, later King Maximilian II of Bavaria, loved the Tegelberg Mountain.
In 1852, Maximilian II had a hunting lodge on the Tegelberg ridge built. From this building, the still-existing Tegelberghaus (at an altitude of 1,707m), he could enjoy the view of the beautiful valley. Just a few metres away is the Tegelberg cable car station.
He also arranged the trail from the Bleckenau guest house to the Tegelberg Mountain, also known as the "Ahorn-Reitweg", or the "maple riding trail" in English. In the past, most of the trails in the Ammergau Alps were riding trails kept relatively level so hunters could easily roam the area on horseback. A large part of the Ammergau Alps and the adjacent area of Tyrol were royal hunting grounds until 1918.
Their love of nature led the Wittelsbacher royal family to inadvertently set the foundation for tourism in their region. Queen Marie of Bavaria, an enthusiastic alpinist, frequently visited the hunting lodge on the Tegelberg Mountain. It was one of her son King Ludwig II's favourite places and each year, he enjoyed the solitude of the mountains for a few days.
The Tegelberg Mountain is an Unparalleled Paradise for Paragliding and Hang-gliding
Tegelberg Mountain, Schwangau
The cable car operates from 9am – 5pm
During dry weather, the summer toboggan run is open from 10am – 5pm